Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Foodistan

One of my friends has requested that I write a blog entry about the food I've experienced in Karachi so far, so I dedicate this entry to food.  I love food, all kinds, although I'm a pretty picky eater.  They say Virgo's are the pickiest of the zodiac when it comes to food, and I beg to differ.  Since I came to Karachi, I've had the pleasure of sampling a broad array of food.  My first experience eating out was at the ever famous BBQ Tonight. This is a place I had heard about from many people, who were raving about how great it was, and naturally, I wanted to try it. After having it, everyone wanted to treat me to BBQ tonight, and by the 5th time, I had sampled virtually everything on the menu.  As most things, it was great the first time, and somehow lacking thereafter.  The most enjoyable experience I've had so far was a small Chinese restaurant called Yuan Tung (pronounced yong tong), which if you ever go and if you like fish, you must try the red crispy fish- its absolutely to die for.

To date, the following are restaurants which I've visited:


1. Gourmet Burgers
2. Roasters
3. Fuscia
4. Butlers
5. Pompeii
6. Yuan Tung
7. Ginsoy
8. Chairman Mao
9. BBQ Tonight
10. Xanders
11. Gloria Jeans
12. Gunsmoke
13. Taco Elpaso
14. Laal Qila
15. Urban Grill
16. Kava
17. Big Thick Burgers
18. 14th Street Pizza
19. Espresso
20. Ciao
21. Hardees
22.  Suzy Wong
23. Dynasty
24. Cafe Alanto
25. Iceberg
26. Shawarma Stand off Kh e Sehar
27. Hanifia
28. Tandoori Hut
29. Karachi Broast
30. Chilis
31. Kaybees
32. Snack Attack
33. Jamil's
34. A ONE
35. Red Chilis
36. California Pizza
37. Village
38. McDonalds
39. Pizza Hut
40. KFC
41. Dunkin Donuts
42. 14th Street Pizza
43. Domino's
44. Cha Cha Jee's
45. Burger Inc.
46. OPTP
47. CHIPS
48. Mahi Seafood
49. Subway
50. Chinatown
51. Jade Garden
52. Arizona Grill
53. Ideal Cafe
54. Biryani of the Seas
& some others I can't remember

My favorites on this list are: Burger Inc., Yuan Tung, Hanifia's, Ginsoy, Chairman Mao, 14th Street Pizza, Kava, Xander's, Iceberg, Chilis, and the Shawarma Stand off Khayaban e Sehar.  14th Street Pizza has the best pizza I've ever had when compared to Chicago or New York. Ginsoy and Chairman Mao have great Chinese food, but Yuan Tung is second to none.  Burger Inc. is a fairly new place in Karachi, its located in Badar Commercial, off 26th street, and has imported fries from England, and great burgers.  Kava is one of the best restaurants I've been to, it has larger servings than Roasters, and about the same price. Xander's is a great place for ambiance, the servings aren't that great, but the quality and service is amazing.  For any American reading this, unless you're a fan of frozen yogurt, ice cream in Pakistan generally leaves far to be desired for the taste buds of an average ice cream loving westerner.  If you try any of the local variety and are thoroughly disappointed, try Iceberg in Saddar, I recommend the chocolate and vanilla mix, its superb!  If you're on a budget, then Chilis is the place to go, and if you're hungry, you can get a chicken tikka, paratha, a roll, and a drink for about Rs. 230 (or about $2.50).  Also in the inexpensive price range is a shawarma stand off Khayaban e Sehar in Defence Phase 6, where you can get a world class shawarma for about Rs. 100 (or about $1).

Pakistan's food definitely ranks high on my list of reasons to stay in Pakistan. When I say that a place is the best place for something, I mean its the best place I've gone to anywhere in the world where I've been. Its so good that I can't even decide which is number one.

Stay tuned...the story continues

No comments:

Post a Comment